Start your journey to self so you can live a life filled with passion and purpose.

Wednesday 24 January 2018

Handwriting vs Digital Typing

Does writing digitally have the same effect as hand writing?

A study on the effect of handwritten notes vs digital notes found students who take handwritten notes with pen and paper learn better than those using a keyboard. 

The reason for this is that Handwriting is "tactile” or “kinesthetic” learning in action. Meaning the physically active process of taking handwritten notes means your more likely to remember information well. 

This is not the only advantages of handwriting, other advantages include:

(1) Therapeutic Benefits

Writing by hand eases depression and anxiety. Writing by hand, particularly if cursive as it is rhythmic, so it helps your erratic thoughts get into a calming flow.

(2)Helps Process problems

Since we connect to words more when we write them out, we can process a problem more easily when we put it to paper.

As a student I always made handwritten notes in class as I felt I retained the information better this way. But I then had to transcribe my notes into digital format for my assignments which was time consuming. 

I love handwriting, I really do, but sometimes it just isn't the best method of writing for me all the time. I find handwriting my thoughts to be a lot more quicker than typing digitally. Mainly because I'm not the greatest at touch typing, so it takes me some time to type the simplist of things. That being said, I love the freedom and flexibility digital writing provides me. For example: There is no way I could possibly have this blog if it was handwritten. Even though I adore handwriting, digital notes have four main advantages over written notes:

(1) Convenience  

It's way quicker to record and save information digitally. Digital notes also eliminate the hassle of storing and keeping paper notes—plus it's much harder to lose a laptop than a notebook (Not impossible, but harder)

(2) Legibility

Maybe this isn’t a problem for you but for some people handwritten notes just prove far to difficult to read. I have a colleague who writes notes and when she goes back over them she can't read what she wrote, even though she wrote it. 

(3) Share ability 

It’s far easier to share your notes when it's in digital format. 

(4) Edit-ability

Its far easier to edit in digital format. Plus it looks more presentable than crossing out or using Tipp-Ex.I'm fairly new to this blogging mallark and I can not even count how often I draft a post, publish it, then go back and re edit it for one reason or another. So the edit ability of digital, typed up notes is a major bonus for me. For this reason alone it makes me feel nothing is ever set in stone when you type. Whereas when handwriting writing everything you put down on paper feels more permanent. The very fact that you can touch it and see it some how makes what you've been written become moe tangible. As Erykah Badu would say "Write it down on real paper with a real pencil. And watch shit get real."I couldn't agree more, once it hits the paper, it somehow becomes real. Which is positive when manifesting but not so great when you've made loads of spelling mistakes and typos and you've published what you've written to the public.

Ultimately which is the best form of writing method depends very much on preference and the purpose of your writing. 

I alternate between the two when necessary. But I really can't decide which I prefer best. I love handwriting when I am learning new information but I prefer digital notes for when I want to share information.

I love the rhythm of handwriting and how I can be creative with my handwriting style. 

But then with digital notes I get to extend, edit and expand upon my written thoughts so much more easily.



Which do you prefer, handwriting or digital notes?


Writing Challenge

Using the writing method you prefer, reflect and write down what you feel are the greatest benefits you personally gain from writing.

 Free Write as much as you possible can.

Planner: @HappyDayPlanner
Photo Credit: Olivia Nicole Silk @lustliving
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig